Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Decoupage Canvas

For Christmas this year I got this bright idea to have the boys paint on 8x10 oil painting canvas. You can get 2 in a package at Micheal's. for about $9.

Here's what I did:

1. Gave the canvas to the boys and let them paint whatever they wanted.

2. I then let it dry for about an hour.

3. I then used Mod Podge decoupage glue added glitter let that dry for another hour.

4. I printed out a picture of each of the boys on paper (I tried it on glossy photo paper and it did not come out so well) I distressed the paper by using a match and burned the edges.

5. Then I used the mod podge on the back of the photo and placed it on the canvas.

6. Added stickers and lastly, slathered the whole canvas in mod podge glue.

7. Let dry over night.

Here are some of the results:


I loved how Owen's turned out.



Jett actually, helped me do his canvas.



For some reason I could not really get a good shot for this one. I painted this one. I am not a painter by any means. Nonetheless, it was fun to make and I like the results. My bathroom is green and pink and I wanted this to go in my bathroom.

These make great anytime gifts. I had the boys do their foot and handprints for Chris for Father's Day I used bigger canvas for those projects. He has them hanging in his office at work. The above were gifts to the grandparents for Christmas. They are fun, quirky, quick crafts that are fun for kids and mom. The one thing that I should have done that I did not do is use a finishing spray...if you try this project I would suggest going to the craft store and ask someone what spray to use. I think that it still came out fine not using the finshing spray, but if you like to do things a little more perfect I would do it. I just winged this whole project. I knew what I wanted to do in my head, however I have never done decoupage before and I could not find an actual project like this so I made it up as I went along. Now I am hooked and want to do some more projects. It is really fun. If you do this project let me know...post some pics.

1 comment:

  1. this is special! it would make a GREAT mothers day gift!!!!

    ReplyDelete